PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Current Gulf Air issues (threads merged)
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2007, 16:25
Capt Hair Y Balls

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attn Mr Andre Dose

Just got this by email lads

For the attn of Mr Andre Dose

Dear Sir,

May I first of all welcome you to the Kingdom of Bahrain and Gulf Air and wish you much success in the vast undertaking which you embark upon.

Having been fortunate enough to be part of the vast GF family for close to two decades now I have been a witness to much change. Change not always for the better but change none the less. I must admit that what we are witnessing now has never happened before in the long history of this Airline. Sadly it is a well known fact that when such dramatic restructuring takes place, although perhaps necessary, it sends shock waves throughout the Company.

I cannot comment on other employee groups within the Airline but I can assure you that our pilot community is very much disconcerted with what is currently taking place. I think most of us, and I speak always on behalf of the pilot community understand that the state of affairs of the Airline are such that leave you no other option other than these dramatic cut backs.

Please understand that we have had many a promise in the past by management, only to be dissapointed. PCE's come and go and each and everyone askes from the crew to pitch in and work hard to get the airline out of trouble with the promise of reward. Sadly housing costs increase each year, school fees increase each year and the reward we see now is the dismissal of 1500 of our co-workers.

I do understand that you come committed and enthusiastic to fulfil the task you undertook but please don't expect of us Sir the same enthusiasm because we have seen this all before. We have been given empty promises, we have worked extremely hard the past 3 years, sacrificed our personal life and family life to get the job done.
Perhaps it would be wise on your behalf to understand that this is not a good time to have your pilots in turmoil as most airlines around the world are seeking qualified pilots. I do not intend my previous statement to sound as a threat but more as a reality.

I understand that your top priority at present is to get the "shop" in order but I can assure you that once you do we all expect you to come up with a realistic package of salary, housing and schooling in order for us to stay commited to this Airline.

Qatar Airways recently increased their housing allowance from BD 600 p/m to BD 1200 p/m as well as their basic salary.

Emirates recently increased their whole package

Etihad recently increased housing and the overall benefits package.

Arabia (a small regional airline) offers a total package approximately 25% more than GF

It will not take long for individuals to loose faith in GF management and seek employment elsewhere. Till now no one from management has placed any importance in keeping good honest working qualified individuals in this airline. The cost which the airline has incurred due to the extreme turnover of crew is many times more than if it had offered an improved package to keep it's people. The previous VPO is a prime example of such a manager.

In closing I wish you every success and may wisdom prevail.

Sincerely

A Line Captain

Unquote