PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do you have confidence in the Defence Secretary?
Old 18th Apr 2007, 12:17
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I disagree, and I would not be surprised if we lose some of the Typhoons ordered. What we actually need right now is more men. The Army desperately needs more troops, but I notice that was not on your list. The Top Brass have continued to agree to a run down of manpower over a period of years. We are now in a desperate manpower position, only masked by a continual drawdown of personnel. What use was Trident in the recent showdown with Iran? The patrol craft that the RN used to operate are acually up for sale. Your answer could have come straight from the lips of an MoD spokesman. I only hope that the Inquiry announced yesterday will be far reaching and not a whitewash. In your rush to excuse the incapability Browne you overlooked the fact that we are at war and we need strong leadership by both Top Brass and Ministers. I see little on offer from either. As a result personnel are sent to war in rubber dinghys and combat proven Russian helos are ignored for expensive machinery, delivered late, with safety equipment stripped out - as standard.
As a foot note, just how long do you think we are going to be in Afg? Some Western Govts are working on 25 years. Or do you prefer the MoD John Reid line of our troops being out in 36 months without a shot being fired?

Last edited by nigegilb; 18th Apr 2007 at 23:04.