PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parliamentary Questions concerning Hercules Safety
Old 18th Apr 2007, 09:59
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PQ's and an update

Way back when we started all this in Feb last year, I wrote to the Defence Committee about the need to upgrade the "J" anti-missile system.. The MoD had cancelled the original program on grounds of cost in 2002. Well I now understand that the "J" is getting an upgrade, which is great news for the crews. Pity the senior officers at the time could not have fought their own corner, but hey, after what has been happening over the last few weeks I doubt if we will ever see them fight hard and upset their political masters.
So, everything we asked for is happening except for cargo bay protection. The latest incident involving a Herc in Iraq highlighted the need for this protection. I do understand the weight penalties particularly affecting the "K" fleet but I wrote once more to the Defence Committee about the matter. Received this reply today. 16 Apr 2007 : Column 154W

Hercules Aircraft

Mr. Hancock: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what plans he has for the fitting of kevlar matting to the cargo bays of Hercules aircraft. [127600]

Mr. Ingram: In order to protect our personnel on operations, it is the Ministry of Defence policy not to comment in detail about current or planned levels of air platform protection. We constantly monitor a range of factors including the threat, technology available and industrial capacity to ensure that our aircraft on operations are equipped with appropriate protection systems.

It is my understanding that nobody is looking at cargo bay protection at the moment so I intend to apply some pressure in this direction in the coming weeks.

Last edited by nigegilb; 18th Apr 2007 at 10:11.