PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Migraine question
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2007, 21:54
Blues&twos

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
For what it's worth - I used to suffer migraine with aura when I was a kid, right up to several years ago. Exactly the same symptoms as described except I got a blinding headache behind one eye and was frequently sick once the aura went away. Lasted about 2 hours. Curiously on a couple of occasions I was unable to speak properly either - I knew what I wanted to say but completely the wrong words came out....very strange. (e.g. "I don't feel well" once came out as "I don't rabbit")

I also used Ibuprofen successfully to relieve the pain, but have never tried the aspirin thing.

Not eating cheese, making sure I got plenty to drink and keeping cool pretty much completely stopped my migraines overnight.

Now the important stuff. A number of years ago I was in the unfortunate position of having a migraine with aura onset whilst I was driving in the outside lane of the M25 late one night. I was doing about 80mph. It was terrifying. The disturbance to my vision was completely disorienting (the aura affects both eyes) and I had to make my way across 4 lanes of traffic onto the hard shoulder with big blind spots where I was able to stop safely and get my roadside recovery people to collect me and take me home.

Now imagine that in an aircraft.....don't do it.