PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Approach speed control in STN
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2007, 11:07
Telstar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Approach speed control in STN

I had the approach controller snarl at me on the ILS recently. I grew concerned as we were inside 4 DME and hadn't been changed to tower, so asked if we could. Controller "I was just waiting to see if you were going to bother yourselves to slow down but never mind, contact tower now 123.8"

I had been asked to maintain 160 Kts to 4 DME as always in STN, having read the very long debate on R&N about people who don't and the problems it causes I understand this perfectly. On this day we were heavy and bug speed for flaps 10 was 165 Kts which we had set as soon as instructed and achieved quite quickly, less then 10 secs. Now my company airfield briefing says:
The high weight flap 10 speed is
164 knots (-800). This is acceptable to ATC as 160kts speed required.
This is the only thing I can think of that got the approach controller into such a state of agitation.

I am well aware that ATC merely require us to inform them if we can't maintain 160 to 4 instead of slowing early and they will accommodate us, but if our company liaises with ATC and they say 165 to 4 is acceptable, what's the problem? I have no problem putting the Gear down and flaps 15 out at 10 miles and keeping the speed at 160, and the thrust and noise way up but it seems a bit pointless to do CDA approaches and then do that.

It wasn't the time or place to get into a war of words but I was extremely rattled as I was so angry and considered going around, it was a very snotty and aggresive tone of voice. In hindsight I should have made an effort to speak to him by telephone afterwards.