PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing Commander R.H.M. 'Bobby' Gibbes, DSO, DFC & Bar, OAM
Old 17th Apr 2007, 11:00
Torres

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Mr_Grubby. Also a rat bag, a joker, a funny bugger, good bloke etc. Bobby was all of those.

I didn't go to the funeral. Not a funeral person and told Bobby's family the next funeral I will probably attend will be my own, but I'm also hoping to miss that.

All reports it was a good affair, as Feather #3 said. The Mk VIII VH-HET (which is painted up in the markings of Bobby's old Spitfire) and a good show of F18's.

Been a few sad departures in recent weeks. Aside from Gibbsie, Sir Bob Norman (RAAF Hudson pilot, founder of Bush Pilot Airways) departed a couple of weeks ago and I heard very second hand today that Clive "Killer" Caldwell also passed away very recently.

Feather #3. Is Black 6 the Bf109 Bobby "acquired" in North Africa? If I remember the story correctly, he claims he acquired it fairly after it's owner obviously abandoned it and he was none too impressed with the RAF taking it off him, especially after the RAAF guys got it serviceable.

Fair skies Bobby. Good trip. My regards to Junior and Blackjack.