PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Property and Confiscation of Goods At Aiport Security
Old 17th Apr 2007, 09:03
jewitts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just this last week at Stansted, travelling as SLF with an 18 month old baby, I had a tiny baby's fork confiscated as is could be a "dangerous weapon". The thing was roughly 3 inches long, had a round plastic handle and had 3 very blunt metal prongs so as not to inadvertantly injure said baby. Now this is plainly ludicrous since 2 other airports in Switzerland had already accepted the fork and it was only the "Officious" UK security staff making-up their own rules. I argued that if this was a dangerous weapon they should confiscate everone's keys too. I didn't win, so someone will be getting a nice little baby fork at an auction in Bishops Stortford. Looking around during the discussion, I saw literally gallons of shampoo, conditioner and toothpaste. All because of scare tactics initiated by the British Government (And yet to be validated).
I am already voting with my feet. I travel a lot on Business to the US and Far-East from Switzerland. I used to habitually go via LHR but not anymore. The long security queues, the attitude of the security staff and the new departure tax all contirbute to increased business from Paris, Frankfurt or Zurich. UK based pilots take note: I'm sure there are thousands of like-minded people in Europe. It's ultimately your jobs at stake!