PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - flight planning software
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2007, 17:06
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if you want IAP plate viewing in Flitestar you have to have Jeppview installed even if you don't use it.

That's exactly right. In FS you right-click on an airport and if you have JV installed in the common Jeppesen directory one of the options is to view approach plates - IFR ones or, if you have the current JV3.5 and the VFR sub, VFR ones too.

JV is the approach plate product. Most of the JV price is the cost of the approach plates for the selected area.

And contrary to his experiance I found that 98% of the autorouting trips it plans pass straight through the CFMU without problem. You have to learn to be a bit cute for some routes.

That's because you put in "reroute accepted" on there That works most of the time if going into France/Spain but IME works less often if going into eastern bits of Europe. Personally I never depart unless I have a route which passes the CFMU check - I like to keep my heart rate nice and low before departure.

Its a good bit of software but you really do have to understand how it works

I agree. However I design hardware and software for a living and have been doing so since the earliest days of microprocessors, and would never design this stuff in that way. It's truly awful.

Regarding Flymap, this gives you a GPS moving map of the Jeppesen "raster charts", or optionally the CAA VFR charts. This is a very good functionality for VFR bimbling around the place, where the absolute #1 objective is to not bust CAS. When I fly VFR in the UK, I am always running the CAA VFR charts (under Memory Map). However - this functionality needs a big screen - at least 800x600 - because these charts were designed to be viewed as printed charts. So e.g. airspace labels are widely spaced out and may not be visible even at 800x600. IMHO the CAA charts are the best around; outside the UK you have the Jepp charts which have occassionally confusing airspace labels, so one has to watch this. I have run VFR charts on a 640x480 PDA (like the PDA version of Flymap does) and it was close to useless because one could not see the airspace.