PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Going Hungry With Globespan
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2007, 14:34
baz_0812

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Going Hungry With Globespan

My brother-in-law and family flew with Globespan (two holidays this year means budget air travel!) around Christmas and reckoned it was no worse than anyone else. He took the cheap option and instead of their meals took some M&S goodies with him and got on fine. We let him make the arrangements for our trip on 28th April and not only have they changed the departure and return flight times twice each now (also added a stopover in Bangor, got dizzy reading about it on the other thread!) but then he gets an e-mail stating the following...

Should you elect not to take advantage of our set in-flight menu we offer a selection of hot food at reasonable prices to be purchased on board. These however are subject to availability and we would recommend you consider our set menu. Snacks and refreshments will also be available for purchase at appropriate intervals throughout the flight. (We do not allow passengers to bring their own food items on board as food cannot be kept at the appropriate temperature and may represent a health and hygiene danger.)
It's obviously unethical to try and force everyone to take their on-board meals (kids baulked at the menus) but is it legal for them to do this? I know you can't take foodstuffs into another country, and that for safety reasons liquids are being limited, but I've never heard of any carrier banning you from taking your own food. They are now holding the proverbial gun to our heads and saying if you don't take our meals you will spend 9 1/2 hours in the plane with nothing more than some crisps and nuts (which they threaten could be in short supply because so many meals have been ordered ).

I can only assume that they have failed to meet some sort of target and are now trying scare tactics. I am obviously going to call and complain, but will it do me any good? I'm hoping someone can enlighten me as to where we stand regards taking a few sarnies with us.