PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Interview and Sim Assessment (merged)
Old 16th Apr 2007, 14:19
blueangel_91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Assessement Experience

Hi Dear colleagues,

last week I had my assessment with Ryanair at EMA, and would like to tell you how my day there was. Thanks to this forum I alread knew a little bit, of what to expact, nethertheless, here is some more new information.

Before I start some info about me. 25 years old, 202TT, MCC B737-800.

Meeting time was at 9.45 at EMA training facility. Unfortunately we could start at about 11 o'clock with the interviews. This day we were 4 pilots, all Cadets, with not more then 300TT. I was the first one with the interview. A very kind guy called ..., I suppose from the HR departmet, picked me first up. I took exactly 45 minutes and was actually the technical and the normal interview mixed up. Interviewers were ....(responsible for the tech questions and the sim assessor), then ...(HR) and ....(chief of the Pilot Recruitment). Sorry I don't want to mention any names here. All three guys were great. Very kind and patient trying all of the time to be fair and nice to you. I could also notice that for me(English non-native speaker), they tried to talk slower and clearly.
The questions I had, were mixed, so I could not notice a separation between technical and interview part.
Technical questions were like, Jet Streams( I know its met), critical engine, service ceiling and also why Ryanair, tell us about yourself, etc....
We also had some opprotunities to make jokes and laughed, all together very relaxed. I can recommend everybody the book "Technical pilot", which helped me to prepare very good.
The other three colleagues were there for about 30 minutes.

The sim was blocked for a 4 hour session from 14-18 o'clock, and we had about 1h for a lunchbreak. Usually we could decide how to be paired for the sim, I would recommend, the first two guys to start, who also started with the interview first.
With the invitaion for the sim, you will get a very good descrpition, of what to expact in the sim. All the procedures and for every phase of flight, call outs, etc.... and it is really important and necessary to study this brochure and know it by heart. For the approach it said we could use the A/P + F/D only throttles to be handled by the PF. This was not the case, so don't focus so much on the atomatic flight and train more real raugh data flying. But the good news are no 737-200 now the the 800 sim...... Wowwww, great plane. I took some hours in a 800 sim. Just to be sure, because my MCC was a few months ago. And I would also recommend to take 1-2 hours.
SIm ride:I was PF.... Liverpool RWY 27, SID was straight ahead 5000ft Level of, stabilize, then Steet turns, accelerating 250kt and climbing to 8000ft with 250kt, while turning into e certain heading. When reaching 8000 desencing to 5000ft no restrictions. In that case, PWR Idle, nose down, just be carefull, not to accelerate over the Vno speed(is indicated) about 320kt as far as I remember. Then levelling of 5000ft I had enige fire, my colleague as PF had back door opened.Both were solved after 1 min and had engine back. Here very important good decision making and CRM(returning back). Then recall items(for fire), then QRH(only mentioned to do). Informing ATC(fire is mayday!!!!!, and returning back to A/P). Then Info to Cabin Crew(NITS) and finally call to the paxes.
As PF i was cleared inbound NDB(direct etry), here the sim was frozen, nethertheless I made e controll change with the PM, and prepared for Holding, with Holding briefing and then for NDB App with briefing. After I had finished, took back the controls and sim moved on. Hodling----direct entry on the outbound course, short befor 1min, right turn inbound NDB and cleared for APP....landing.
Nothing special nothing tricky. Basic IFR flyinig skills, all the briefings and good CRM were the main points.

After the day I had a good feeling. Enjoyed the interview and sim ride a lot and two days later my feeling was confirmed.

If one of you guys have any questions, the are always welcome.
Hope I could help some of you beeing invited there soon. Its not easy and may not be underaestimated, but with some preparation easyly to be passed.

Greetings Robert