PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Schools view of CRI's
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2007, 13:12
S-Works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The CRI rating is a very powerfull tool that has been under utilised. I have had considerable involvement with it as part of the AOPA mentoring scheme we have proposed.

JAA created the rating to allow teaching of the non abinitio skills, checkouts etc but the uptake has been low due to the number of hours builkders taking up the FI route.

When we researched the hours flown in the average school as I pointed out in an earlier post the ab initio was surprisingly a lower number than than the routine, checkouts, licence renewals etc. Obvious really when you consider flight training had been in decline for years. The CRI is a natural building block for continuing education. ME training has to be done by a CRI(ME) as does IR training. IMC can be done by both FI and CRI. Allthough I would personally prefer it to be done by an IRI as the standard of IMC training is often very poor.

I think the future holds schools without hours builders staffed by full time career Instructors supported by part time CRI's some with CPL some with PPL.