PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Urgent:all Pilots In/out Lhr/lgw
View Single Post
Old 16th Apr 2007, 09:25
autothrottle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Envoy604,

Thanks for the reply. I have to say I am not sure about the stop bar issue. They hold traffic in position for a variety of reasons like opposite direction traffic , outbound traffic from cul-de-sacs or inbound, allowing traffic to safely vacate ahead of other traffic on taxiways adjacent to runways AND also gaurantee wing tip clearance, if you stay behind the bar you will be clear of other traffic. They do have a reason for being there so I can't see how removing them will do anything other than erode safety. Its NOT ALL about runway incursions, collisions can happen on taxiways as well.

Most crews who come up to visit ATC like it, as it reduces heads down time looking at charts and 99.9 % of the time if the pilots follow it , it massively reduces RT which can REALLY slow thing down if you can't get in on the RT. It also removes ambiguity about exactly where an aircraft should hold as marker boards can be confusing...take a look at the route ALPHA-MIKE-UNIFORM or ALPHA-MIKE-HOLD SHORT OF ALPHA. Not easy to find...follow the GREENS and STOP at the BAR and we will get you there!