PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Going to the 'Stan - Kit advice required
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2007, 23:41
unclenelli

Location: Civ/HAL/SHY/FYY/PWK/AAS/WAD/AVI/GPT/BZN/BSN/WAD/BAS/FLK/WIT/MND/WAD/WIT/WAD/Civ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TAKE THAT SKIVING STAB THAT KNOWS Pontius WITH YOU!!!!! - AND LEAVE HIM THERE!!!!!!!
Head Torch & batteries
Get new battery fitted to watch (whether it needs it now or not)
DVD entertainment (laptop/DVD player - DVDs available in theatre)
Books
I was recently back from Bastion
You will get a 13A 240V socket (there were 10 sharing 8 sockets in my tent!)
Inflatable mattress/pillows for campcots is good idea. Mozzie nets not needed, but quite satisfying to be able to zip yourself away from the world at times.
Fly repellent a must - fly papers often could catch 200+ in a week!!!
Mouse traps - a must (available from stackers/QM) - don't store any food (inc crisps/sweets) in tents unless in an ammo box! Mice attract Snakes! Don't need to bait the traps, just put then along the inner sides of your tent and wait for them to stroll over them!!!!
Dry sandals for out & about
Wet Flipflops for showers
Huggies Nappy wipes for when the H2O goes off!!! (quite often)!!!!! (unscented unless you're Army/Navy)
When I was there the Marines turned up and announced that there were only 2 dress codes - uniform & PT kit! (EFI organised a Hawaiian Xmas Party only to be told NO!!!!!!, Uniform or PT Kit!!!! - B@st@rds!! This is the same Marines that ran out of FOOD for the whole camp, causing the shelves in the EFI to be stripped bare - I went in to find the only edible things were 3x ice lollies and 2x 4xcup-a-soups!! But plenty of Fridges & iPods!!!!!!!)
KAF can get VERY muddy when wet - I visited in December and found 1inch of slurry/mud everywhere and went through 2 prs of trs in just over 12hrs due to mud! BSN was much drier and usually 3-4 degrees warmer than KAF.
PLASTICAB - you don't say which service you are, but if you're RAF, then Dress codes are available on CCIS (it helped when I got questioned about the colour of my T-Shirts)
Remember that despite BSN being Army-led, you are AIR FORCE!!!!!!!! and not subject to Army rules (i.e. according to JSP760 Ch5 (new JPA regs), you get 14-days R&R!!!!(4-7Mths)! - As a mere Cpl, they would only give me 7days - according to their rules! F*c*w*ts!!!!!!!!! - claimed the rest as R&R PODL!)
Hats - not worn
Salutes - not given
Incoming - none

Last edited by unclenelli; 15th Apr 2007 at 23:55.