PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are the BBC aviators?
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2007, 22:58
unclenelli

Location: Civ/HAL/SHY/FYY/PWK/AAS/WAD/AVI/GPT/BZN/BSN/WAD/BAS/FLK/WIT/MND/WAD/WIT/WAD/Civ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not Just BBC

I was in Afghanistan last year on 24 September.
It came over CHAT (only a matter of seconds after the event) that <callsign> reported that <nimrod callsign> had crashed. As we were unaware of <nimrod callsign>, a quick check of the ATO confirmed that it was a Nimrod<type> and based out of <base>.
For the next 6-12 hours we had to endure umpteen f*c*w*ts/experts on Sky News (and BBC) speculating that the only RAF aircraft in Afghanistan that could carry that many people were C130 and CH47.
As I was working with CH47, everyone was desparate to contact their rellies to say they were OK (Minimise kicked in), but the rellies back in Blighty were also subjected to this inaccurate drivel provided by so-called "military experts" (subjecting the local waterboards Sewage Farms to a surge similar to that experienced by the National Grid when Corrie finishes!)
So, to all broadcasters/media:
Find out the facts first, or state that "there are UNCONFIRMED REPORTS that an UK AIRCRAFT has crashed/UK MILITARY PERSONNEL killed." (and do your best to confirm the UK bit first!!!!)
You should all be aware that with the numbers of personnel moving through Brize and Lyneham each year, speculative reports of bullsh1t like this can cause tremendous mayhem/anxiety/panic/unjustified relief amongst quite large populations of the UK (i.e. See Above, the mil population of Lyneham and Odiham areas as opposed to Kinloss!!!!!!!!). Whilst the NOKs in Scotland would have no doubt been aware of where their loved ones were operating, the last thing they need is for the State (or other - in this case Sky) broadcaster to say that it wasn't their loved ones, when in actual fact it was.
In this era of litigation, how long before Mrs Sqauddie sues Daily Blurb/XTV for the stress caused when thay reported that Soldier Squaddie had been killed, only to find out that it was Soldier Grunt instead!!!
You must remember that Joe Public will say whatever they think they saw/you want to hear in order to gain a fast buck. I would urge you broadcasters to await the official MOD announcement (I'm not saying that this announcement will be 100% factual, but it will give you the releasable facts)

OFF TOPIC
And just out of interest why does everry BBC 'reporter' now get a "Special Correspondant" title?

And I am utterly fed up of the "opinions" of the special correspondants. Who cares? Just report the facts fer fecks sake, and make sure the facts are in fact, fact.
Didn't John Irvine get "Tsunami Correspondant" status in Banda Aceh/Thailand because he happened to be on HOLIDAY THERE AT THE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I bet the BBC flew him (& Family) home from it)

Last edited by unclenelli; 15th Apr 2007 at 23:14.