PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Migraine question
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2007, 16:45
teropa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Migraine question

Hi all!

I have read PPrune for many years, and even debated here for some years ago . I have a very high regard for the opinions of the people who post here.

Now to my Question.

I am now 27 and was diagnosed with Migraine when I was 21. After continuing my studies after a year in the military I started getting migraines
with a visual aura. The aura is like this: first I get a hint of having a very very small blind spot somewhere in the field of vision. At this point I am sure I'm getting a migraine. This tiny blind spot (called scotoma) lasts for about 1-2 minutes, after which it gradually starts to form to a migraine "worm", which is a bright zig-zag kind of form with rainbow colors. All that is "underneath" that bright form is also "a blind spot" at the same time. This form then grows for about 10 minutes, and then starts to dissipate in a way that it starts to move to the outer edges of the field of vision, only to disappear completely after about 20-25 minutes. Right after this, even though I can see everything, the eyesight is somewhat "vague" in the areas where the scotoma was present. In about 1 hour I'll be completely out of the migraine attack. I don't get bad headaches after the aura, nor do I get any nausea.

So there you have a description of a migraine with visual aura. I get these attacks more during the spring when there's more light (about 1/month or less). And maybe ~ 10 attacks / year.

I have used migraine-specific medication for the attacks, and also Ibuprofen in large quantities (my spouses sister is a neurologist, and she tells me to take 800-1000mg of Ibuprofen for the attacks, which seems to do the trick, and I feel normal once the visual auras have stopped).

HOWEVER, Just recently I used plain vanilla ASPIRIN for my attacks (had nothing else available), and to my astonishment something weird happened. I have taken the aspirin immediately as I see the small blind spot. What happens next is that the blind spot starts forming into the migraine "worm", but then the worm just goes away just like that. The migraine attack lasting for about 1-3 minutes total. After this I don't get anymore of the visual aura or any headache. No symptoms at all.

Now, my fantasy of becoming an airline pilot went down the drains at 21 when I started getting these migraines. And the PPL went the same route, as migraine with aura is forbidden in JAR rules.

My big Question is this:

IF my success using Aspirin with migraine continues, and that I can clearly deduce that visual auras and migraine attack STOP when using Aspirin, Would it be OK to:

1. Just not tell the AME about any migraine symptoms when applying for medical certificate (there are no records of me being diagnosed with migraine anywhere), and just go on getting the PPL and trusting the medication (given that it really works, and from a longer period of "testing") ?

2. Tell the AME about the attacks completely honestly, and hoping that the new medication and its effects on my migraine would have a positive effect on my medical ?

Don't shoot me for thinking about #1 as an option. I've dreamt of becoming a pilot since I was 8 years old, so that's almost 20 years. I am heavily involved in many kinds of aviation related stuff, but don't have a license. I have problems in accepting that I might NEVER get certified to fly.
Interested to hear your opinions. Thank you in advance.

regards,
Tero