PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Your help needed: BBC News questionnaire on flying hours
Old 15th Apr 2007, 14:20
Bomber Harris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAY AGAIN SLOWLEY,

we are not daily mail readers. That is not the reason we are questioning what is going on. Please read the last 3 posts after yours. They are informed intelligent comments. They make very valid points.

My fear is that this is being looked at (and dramatised) in such a way to create a stark "wow factor" on a 60 minute documentary, by a BBC employee who already knows what he wants to say before the survey is complete (Can you imagine walking through a university and making that last statement....it would be laughed at by every bright thinking mind on campus!!). If there is public outcry after it the tv program then there will possibly be the usual inappropriate knee jerk reaction by the CAA and a drop in passenger bookings because people get a little sceptical about flying for a while

SAY AGAIN SLOWLY, please try to understand where we are coming from. This is not real research. It is lip service to research, so a headline grabbing statement can be made to dramatic music which will attract viewers.

Even a questionaire is a joke. If this were done properly then log books and rosters would be number crunched to come up with real data. Mr shoey is just looking to say things like "60% of pilots have felt fatigued enough that their aircraft was in danger"....what toss. This is a very complicated issue, not comprehendable by the public in a 60 min program, and not comprhendable by mr shoey in a few months of research.

This is more likely to damage our industry and our reputatiuons than help. And Mr shoey doesn't give a damn. He cares about his high flying Beeb career (my guess only...maybe he is a philantropist!)

SAY AGAIN SLOWLY, I think we have thought this through more than you know, and certainly more than the average DM reader!!! Please, I beg you, think it through.

Danny, I think you are right to allow this man to make a pitch. It is for us to decide to help or not. But I have made my views clear, and I will not be helping.