PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Transprtation regs of remains in an Urn with Ba/BMI & TAM...HELP!
Old 15th Apr 2007, 13:17
Grolsch30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transprtation regs of remains in an Urn with Ba/BMI & TAM...HELP!

Hi,

Forgive me if I have posted in the wrong place!

I hope someone may be able to give me advice on the following issue.
My father has just recently passed away and will be cremaeted. His wife would like to take his remains back to their home in Brasil in the Urn.

Now she will be flying with TAM from Heathrow to Brasil, but we are not sure if she will fly to Heathrow with BA or BMI.

Here is the problem, I phoned BA if we need any kind of documents be it from customs or whatever, or if any special requirements needed to be met for the airlines or any other authorities which may need to be involved (customs, security etc).

After phoning BA I then phoned BMI with the same question and this is the answer I got from them.

BA: Just need deat certificate, ok as normal hand luggage, ashes need to be sealed up, will be ok for further international flight as hand luggage also.

BMI: Will not be allowed to travel whatsoever especially not as hand luggage, has to be processed as freight and gave me number for cargo department!

I have been unable to contact TAM as the 0870 phone number on the website does not work!

Now the question is why is it ok with BA but not ok with BMI.
The gentleman I spoke to took his time and had to consult his boss to make sure the info he gave me was right, whereas the gentleman which was from an indian call centre (not that that has anything to do with it), seemed just to tell me straight away no cannot be done, has to be cargo!!
I am trying to find a contact number for a BMI ticket desk here in the UK to cross reference his answer.

Is there actually no international agreement or policy on such an issue?

Anyway thanks for any help and again apologies if this is not where such a post should be.