PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF L/H accomodation possible changes
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2007, 10:10
ShockWave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is pointless to say what my experience is, because it could so easily be B.S.
25 years in the airline business, 9 of those with QF if you believe it.
What I unsuccessfully tried to get you guys to do is view your situation from a different view point. Not mine. Qf is in a very difficult position, with competition coming from all over the world. From places where employees are not protected as they are in OZ, and sexism, racism and exploitation are ignored if not encouraged.

Cabin crew are in general much younger because no one can put up with the life style under those conditions for too many years. Therefore the companies salary bills are lower and they save a fortune. The turn over of crews keeps the average enthusiasm and interest level in the job higher. Or it could be that they are too inexperienced to complain and with no union they will have to work hard or leave. Either way the company wins.

Younger, newer, and cheaper!
Of course that does not necessarily make them as professional or as good at their job as a more experienced crew member, but it also does not preclude it.

If Qf can remove people from the upper levels of your pay scale and replace them with new joiners at the bottom of the pay scale they win big time. If they also happen to employ them from a different country where they will not be subject to OZ labour laws or Unions they will win again.

Your competition already does the same and for QF to survive they have to be able to compete. The alternative is to be subsidized or go out of business.

I do not advocate what is going on, I am just telling you what is.