PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anzac Day
Thread: Anzac Day
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2007, 02:58
Samuel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The "NZ' in ANZAC stands for New Zealand, let's not forget, and I don't know what this guy; "A total contrast to the ex RNZAF bloke who gave me grief for not being with him in Vietnam" was on about as the RNZAF as an arm were never in Vietnam. Sure, they flew in and out with Hercs and Bristol Freighters, and a small number of RNZAF pilots flew with both the USAF and RAAF on FAC and Iroquois, but the RNZAF never operated in Vietnam. He may well have been one of them if he was a pilot, but I could just about name all of them! Just for the record, sixteen RNZAF pilots served in combat in Viet Nam with No 9 Sqn RAAF (now disbanded), flying Iroquois UH-1H. Five were decorated (DFC); two were Mentioned in Dispatches. A seventeenth was killed in a flying accident during work-up training in Australia. Generic callsigns "Albatross" (for the troop carriers, or "slicks"), and "Bushranger" for the gunships.

Fourteen RNZAF plots flew as FACs, variously in the Cessna O-2 ("Oscar Deuce") and the OV-10 Bronco. One received the American DFC; one was Mentioned in Dispatches. Generic callsign "Jade".

It is heartening on Dawn Parades on ANZAC Day to see the ever increasing numbers of young people turning up, wearing dad's or granddad's medals,

Last edited by Samuel; 15th Apr 2007 at 03:36.