PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WSOp Streaming
Thread: WSOp Streaming
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2007, 23:34
OilCan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roland

It's a 'jack of all' concept which appears to run counter to a growing need for increased specialization. Streaming has always been part of the NCA selection process, it's a question of how and when that streaming is done.

At a time when we are 'streaming' pilots earlier and earlier, we appear to be doing the very opposite with the NCA element. Why? - to try and improve the recruitment and retention of the AEop cadre. - plain and simple. (if it's not, then why has it changed?)

Potentially flawed, because it is unlikely to attract more AEops who want to be AEops, and will positivley discourage those who want to be ALMs, thereby exacerbating the problem. Lets not even mention the resurrection of the Eng!!

The potential for diversity may indeed be an attraction for some, but the inevitable lottery will be too big a gamble for most, especially when that lottery has so many variables and takes place so long after signing on the dotted line. Current allocation figures quoted on this thread do appear encouraging, but it's early days, only time will tell if that trend continues.

As an Eng, I have absolutely no experience of the current end product nor any knowledge of the structure and content of the course, so I would not presume to question those charged with its design or implimentation, they have my respect - and simpathy. I do however have experience of dealing with those who ended up as an Eng by default - not encouraging.

As a distant bystander, I suspect this may well become another 'lessons learnt' fiasco in a few years time.

I am now, apparently, a Weapon Systems Operator!!
- "Oh really Mr Oilcan, and what weapons do you operate?"
- "fuel cocks, and I'm f*ckin' deadly!"