PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Media Student doing documentary on Flying
Old 14th Apr 2007, 10:01
VH-MVL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Media Student doing documentary on Flying

Hi all

First-time poster, fair time reader.

I'm currently a media student at Uni from country NSW, majoring in the field of television production. Alot of our coursework is borrowing one of the Uni's cameras and going out to make a short documentary on a topic of interest.

I've always had a long knack for aviation interests, and also in the desire to one day get a pilot's licence. However, have been just too busy with many things to juggle both with Uni, work and other commitments.

I'm on holidays at the moment visiting Family for a few weeks in Sydney. Having visited Hoxton Park for a look (Live nearby), and also Bankstown (Friend lives nearby), I was enticed to take up a "Trial Instructional Flight" with one school at Bankstown.

Having thought about it, I decided I will definately give this a go (Not yet decided which school though), and also use this experience as a basis for my fourthcoming assignment this semester, as I feel this subject/topic would be of great interest for submission. So here goes:

*At Bankstown, is there anyone on here from any flying school who could entice me to go for a TIF with their school, and be able to accommodate a friend of mine who'll be filming the experience? (I.e. Sitting in the back seat with the camera)

*As I understand it, it gets abit noisy aboard the aircraft in flight, and the folks aboard communicate through their headset intercoms? If this is the case, I would like to record Audio seperately on a MiniDisc unit I use for audio recordings for video, which uses a normal headphone jack.

I'm curious, is there a unit/transition plug of some form I could plug into the aircraft's intercom/radio unit to the MD recorder/player, and record the dialogue between the instructor and I, and also converstions with Air Traffic Control?

*What aircraft would be able to accommodate such a show? Assuming it's a 4-seater.

*And finally, what price would I be expected to pay for this TIF?

I appreciate any help and advice given to assist with this, and happy to share the results if this goes ahead. Regardless if this makes it on assignment or not, I still will be eager to fly, before I head back to Uni for the semester.

Please be abit easy on me, as I'm not familiar with the specifics in Aviation, but want to learn.

Thanks!