PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Is A Level D Simulator?
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2007, 23:48
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi AHRS
Whilst I understand you can perform Base training on a Level D and thus operate your first flight on line training, is it due to the realism in graphic displays or performance realism that defines it?
Which of these (if any ) qualifies as a Level D? (No MsFS answers please.we know about the 767 level D thank you!):
CONCORDE
L1011-200 such as Redifusion (ex Gulf Air)
Trident 3C ex BEA
Hawker 800
Gulfstream GIV
If you let me know the reasoning behind your question I would be able to give you a more complete answer; but, I'll start with the following: The type of aircraft has nothing to do with what level of simulator is assigned. Mr None gave you a couple of links that contain some information, but what he provided only scratches the surface. There are specific requirements that have to be met in each case and the two documents you get to in None's links are the basic document and appendix 1 (General Requirements) for the standards used by the US FAA. There are two other appendices in that document; one for objective tests and one for subjective and functional tests. The tests conducted in the simulator are the same tests conducted during the certification flight tests done in the airplane. The results of both tests are then compared to see if the simulator performs and handles within the established tolerances for the specific level of simulator. The higher up the ladder you go, the more tests, and the more detailed the test data has to be. There are other requirements as well - motion systems, visual systems, and sound systems are also more sophisticated and required to be a bit more extensive as you move up the ladder. There is an initial evaluation and then periodic evaluations to be sure that everything continues to operate as it did originally.

Here is another link that will take you to the Home Page for the FAA's National Simulator Program. It is this office that is responsible for establishing the requirements and then actually evaluating each simulator to see if it performs and handles like the airplane it is simulating - in accordance with the requirements. From this page, down the left hand side, you can select additional information about what it takes to evaluate and qualify a full range of Flight Simulation Training Devices.

If you still have additional questions, let me know what it is you're after and I can probably help you out.

http://www.faa.gov/safety/programs_i..._aviation/nsp/