PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Current Gulf Air issues (threads merged)
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2007, 18:19
Bombay HF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We're not talking about the real world here where an airline must be profitable or go under, where an airline will grow to the size that the market dictates. This is the Gulf. This is where three tiny countries, in terms of population, will have 350+ widebodied aircraft between them. Why? Because their governments have said it will be so! Are they profitable? I very much doubt it. Do they care? Probably not. If Bahrain insists that GF must be commercialy viable when no other carrier around here has to be then fine. But if they want to play by those rules then GF should be allowed to fail and close down instead of being drip fed on a life support machine. This is what normaly happens outside this region, sink or swim and let the market decide. I don't think you can compare a National carrier to the likes of Arabia and Jazeera. If GF decided to become a small A320 operater just flogging around the Gulf and the Sub Continent with similar conditions i am sure it would be successful also. Maybe GF should think about doing that anyway.

BTW...My training bond for the 330/340 was ONLY 14,500 BD, are you sure the 320 is alkmost double that?