PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing Commander R H M ("Bobby") Bobby Gibbes DSO DFC & Bar
Old 13th Apr 2007, 11:50
Torres

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Bobby never spoke much of the Court Marshal but in later life thought it was a bit "of a giggle", although I think he was hurt inside. He did speak on the animosity between "the regulars" and the reserves called up or conscripted for the duration.

"Later, after I submitted an application requesting my discharge from the Air Force, I was informed by the Air Commodore that Caldwell had written an unfavourable report on my administrative ability. I was never shown this document or informed by Clive that he had done this, and I am rather of the opinion this information was given to me in an endeavour to persuade me to withdraw my application for the termination of commission. I find it hard to understand why Clive would have written such a report.........

I doubt that Clive knew enough of my administrative experience to make any adverse comments, and if he had in fact done this, I am unable to fathom what his motives would have been. I never did discuss the matter with him. I have a great regard for Caldwell and we have remained good friends. While he was undergoing court-marshal, I tried to help by writing an article which was given full front page coverage in the Sunday Telegraph, Feb 10, 1945 and was headed "Tribute to Caldwell. There's no Glamour in in Air Warfare". Too bloody true."

And

"I have often wondered why two highly decorated wartime officers were dealt with so harshly. Was it possibly because we had achieved greater success than most permanent officers and this had caused resentment among some who, perhaps through lack of opportunity, has achieved absolutely nothing."