PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing Commander R H M ("Bobby") Bobby Gibbes DSO DFC & Bar
Old 13th Apr 2007, 10:29
Torres

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Bob. I have the book somewhere, also Bobby's autobiography "You Live But Once" - and he sure did live a full life!!

My copy of his autobiography has the hand written notation:
"With my best wishes Bob. It is a great pity that we no longer have Junior to lead us astray. (signed) Bobby Gibbes 8th November 2002"

God knows why we needed Junior! Bobby managed to lead me astray on more occasions than I care to remember. At least when he owned "The Bird of Parasite" Hotel in Goroka, one could get smashed and follow the gutter home!
"Septic Pilot" was written by Jim Sinclair. I spoke to Jim on the phone yesterday - he's 79, just completed one book on Steamies, is returning to "The History of the Highlands" which he is part way through writing and has been commissioned to write the history of Port Morbid.

On the subject of the Court Marshal, there were three charged, from memory, Bobby, Blackjack (?) and Clive Caldwell and Bobby's charge related to sale of booze, not transporting in RAAF aircraft. Bobby reckoned it was a fair cop they only got him for three offenses.........

I scanned in a photo from Bobby's book, taken at home at Collaroy when he was building the CriCri in the living room.

It really used to p!55 Bobby off when I called it his twin engine lawn mower!!

I'm surprised it was a Tooheys. It was normally straight scotch and ice!

P.S. Just noticed the photos on the back wall. The one on the right is one of the Ju52's (VH-BUU, BUV, BUW) and the one on the left is the Norseman (VH-GSA?) supply dropping Jim Sinclair's patrol, shortly before Helli dropped it into Lake Kopiago after an engine failure.