PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2007, 10:19
PAJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Guys,
I am absolutely ecstatic to be able to be one of the fortunate few who is able to post saying I’m off to NZ - CP49 here I come! I don’t really want to cover loads of old ground here if possible, or bore you senseless at that! I am just very grateful to all those who have taken the time to post on here with tips/ experiences – they have been a real help to me and numerous others I am sure.

I cannot believe how fast all this has happened! I sent my application on 12th March, receiving an invite to stage 2 the next day. As I was away in the States for a bit, I went for stage 2 on 30th March, being notified I was successful the same night. With Easter looming, I expected a delay but was very pleased to be invited to stage 3 on 10th April. They called me the next morning inviting me to stage 4 for the next day, giving me some useful feedback while they were at it. Stage 4 was done yesterday and I received a call 45 mins later saying I was successful, and asked whether I could fly out on 2nd May, so here I am! Talk about efficient! It has taken 13 days from phase 2 until knowing my course – it really hasn’t sunk in. Just handed in my notice at work; surreal experience that was! Anyway, point I am trying to make is that CTC are so professional and efficient. Really nice at every stage and anyone who has been to both Bournemouth and Nursling knows how fantastic their facilities are. I would like to strongly urge anyone thinking of applying to do so!

So selection advice … PILAPT is actually quite fun! Very tough in places but it is very much a case of you have it or you don’t! Cockpitweb is all well and good, but I did nothing like that, just practiced my maths and drew on my flying experience and was fine. A couple of things, the shape recognition test is best to be broken down. You need to identify whether a coloured shape matches criteria on two axies, one for colour, the other for shape. Just focus on one thing first (I chose colour as it seemed simpler) and ensure the right colour was under the right column (do this every time as the axies change and being lazy does not hack it at this level) – if so, scan across to the other axis. It’s like an instrument scan when flying IFR. Really noticed that come back to me in the 737 sim yesterday. Also, the final test, just stay cool – again, break it down. Either focus on number or shape initially – if you can manage all of it, that’s ideal but try to keep in touch with the sequencing as once you lose it, that’s it, then keep up with the shapes as you can. The rest has been covered elsewhere and is worth a read!

Stage 3 – Learn the airlines! I would suggest knowing a brief history, fleet, base, core uk hubs and any mergers happening at least. Know the role of a first officer, relationship on the flightdeck with the captain, basic CRM issues, perhaps a few technical bits like where might a 757-200 fly – don’t say the far east; that’s just silly! Know industry events – especially environmental issues, open skies agreement, new aircraft under development, pilot fatigue, maybe ATC restructuring at the moment. All in Flight International but well worth throwing around in the interview if you get the chance. Most importantly know yourself inside out, backwards – everything. Get together loads of examples – can’t go wrong that way.

Team exercises – just be yourself and contribute. This may really backfire saying this, but it was implied that the first exercise (survival) is a chance for you to show leadership and the second (building) is for teamworking – obviously if everyone does this though, that does not make for a good overall team, so it really does need to be an emphasis on the team working well rather than you looking like the best teamplayer. Just contribute!

Stage 4 – AWESOME!!!! Anyone who is like me and has always wanted to fly a 737-300, well this is your chance! It was fantastic; the guy who looked after us both was great, really patient and a great instructor. He took off from Gatwick 26L, took us up to 5,000, asked me to decent do 4,000 at 250kt (he controlled the power throughout – trust me, its tough enough without the throttle! Then it was 180 degree turns with 30 deg bank to the left and right, error margin was very tight I think, 100ft either way needed very swift correction, then 360 degree turns. Changes in power settings while holding attitude, then 45 deg bank turns. He then set the aircraft up for an ILS on to 26L, with cloud base at 800ft. So satisfying to hit the centreline! Then he asked me to takeoff, climb to 3,000ft ensuring I maintained 210kt. A few things I’ll point out – firstly, as I’m sure you can imagine, a c152 it aint! This thing is really heavy in the bank, ¼ degree in pitch makes a huge difference in R.O.C – about 200fpm! So try to pre-empt how the pitch needs to be adjusted as the speeds change. Also, remember positive exchange of control, ie, ‘I have control’, when asked to turn 180 deg holding altitude, say something like, ‘right 180 at 30 deg bank maintaing 4,000’, then perhaps say ’90 to go’ half ay through the turn. Ensures you have been listening and is how pilots operate in a multi-crew environment. No maths questions for me, just general discussions about the aircraft handling during turns to see how you cope.

Anyway, hope that helps a bit – I’d be happy to answer a few questions if you guys have them. Everyone who I have met along the way have been fantastic guys and I wish all of you the very best. And as for those of you on CP49, bring it on!

PAJ