PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing Commander R H M ("Bobby") Bobby Gibbes DSO DFC & Bar
Old 13th Apr 2007, 09:42
Bob Murphie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would commend the book "Sepik Pilot" (James Sinclair),
Lansdown Press SBN 7018 0323 1
The frontspiece reads:
"In memory of the good old days- to the men of Gibbes Sepik Airways".
Forgive me if I quote from chapter 9, Court Martial;
"On 19th April 1945, at Headquarters , First Tactical Air Force, RAAF, Morotai, W/C R. H. Gibbes (No 260714) DSO., DFC and Bar, was charged by court martial with being guilty of conduct to the prejudice of good order and Air Force discipline. He was accused of three offences under section 40 of the Air Force Act, of having in the months of February, March and April, 1945, at Morotai, attempted to sell, otherwise than in the course of his duty, a total of four bottles of gin, wine and whiskey. Although the date of the first offence alleged was clearly wrong-Gibbes was not even at Morotai in February- Gibbes pleaded guilty to the charges (foolishly, in the opinion of an experienced legal man who reached Morotai just after the conclusion of the hearing). He was convicted of all charges. The sentence of the Court was that Wing Commander Gibbes be reduced in rank to Flight Lieutenant. The sentence was varied by the Air Officer Commanding 1st TAF so as to read 'to be reduced to the rank of Squadron Leader'. This was confirmed to the accused on 23 April 1945. It goes on.
There is a void that I fear will never be filled in future history. We have forgotten the good old days.
RIP.