PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ISLE OF MAN
Thread: ISLE OF MAN
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2007, 08:31
Haven't a clue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Introducing new aircraft quickly is a big step forward. On the EMX thread you (Anotherflapoperator) said..

.... if you can stand Pier 1 at LGW that is!

As I can't get any further than the airbridge, just how bad is it in there? The main shopping part is OK, it's only the pier that is old and grotty and that's due to be knocked down and redeveloped next year I believe.
Pier 1 itself is not the problem. Inbound you have to queue for a photo presumably so you can mix with the outgoing pax, and queue to be scanned out again (yet strangly as I recall this scanning point is just beyond the seating area and you still mix with the outgoing pax....)

Outbound is the problem for me and the missus. You have to turn up early enough to get through security (FlyBe's website says check-in opens 90 mins before the flight, and I suggest it should be sooner - I checked in online which works well despite the potential for additional charges for replacement boarding cards should you be unlucky to suffer a printer wreck).

Because the terminal was designed in the days when security was a speedier process all the decent places to eat are landside, and I guess the original plan was for pax to spend time there before going airside. The result is that all the pax are congregated airside and the place is untidy and filthy. There's few places left to sit and it's better to head down to Peir 1 despite it's lack of facilities.

If you're paying full whack, as I often do, you get to use the FlyBe lounge, which is a a peaceful haven off peak, but will no doubt be crowded at peak times.

There is an arguement that we were spoilt by BA - LGW North is new(ish), has plenty of space to sit, big lounges (kids allowed), plenty of places to eat airside, and is kept clean and tidy. So the transfer to LGW South is a huge backward step. Maybe FlyBe should relocate? (Of course there is the need to deal with the Transit, which has broken down on occasion).

You have commented earlier about the positive side of the new FlyBe operation with enthusiasm, and I admire you for that. It was the Manx based crews who that kept me loyal even after the introduction of the BA Connect brand. Let's see what the pax numbers look like in due course.