PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2007, 20:11
MamaPut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BDHC Travel Warning, Nigerian Elections

The British Deputy High Commission in Lagos has issued a security bulletin, and I'd guess that most of the foreign embassies will have issued something similar:

• Throughout Nigeria there will be a heightened risk of political and criminal violence on the election days and on the few days before and after the elections (12-16 April and 19-23 April 2007). You should be extra-vigilant during these periods. Localised unrest is likely and the security situation may deteriorate rapidly in the vicinity of election rallies and polling stations. Minimise local travel and stay close to home, especially after dark. Avoid bars and restaurants. The Nigerian government has banned all road travel between 0700 and 1700 on 14 April. You should observe the ban and remain alert to a possible extension.

I guess that's why although the Shell contract staff are all in 'lockdown' with no road movement, for the rest of Aero and Bristow it's business as usual. For those having to travel to or from work tomorrow and the following weekend, be extra vigilant as although the embassies sometimes seem rather out of touch, the warning about how quickly the security situation can deteriorate in the vicinity of election rallies is all too true. Insist that if you have to go to work your company provides an adequate level of security. Try sending an e-mail so you get a reply. If this is less than satisfactory and some mishap befalls you, take your tight-fisted employer to court and sue him for every $$$ you can for failing his duty of care towards you

From what I hear, it's actually expected to be a relatively calm period, but the danger will come in the weeks after the Presidential election on April 21. Let's hope all is calm and quiet and there's a smooth handover from the incumbent bunch of crooks, to the new load of robbers