PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADSL Wireless Router and the Squeezebox Problem
Old 12th Apr 2007, 12:16
4Foxtrot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ADSL Wireless Router and the Squeezebox Problem

I confronted my nerd-dom last night by trying to get my Linksys ADSL wireless router to work through my cable-provided broadband. And failed.

As there is no ethernet port for the external broadband (it's a horribly old fashioned squarish phone port) I thought about just plugging the ethernet cable from the cable-provided modem directly into one of the 4 ethernet ports and trying to frig with the routing. Success! I can access the internet. However I can no longer log into the router on 192.168.1.1 using my PC as the ISP automatically re-IPs the machine as 82.67.blah.blah.

Enter wireless laptop, which can access the router config screen on 192.168.1.1, but now can no longer access the internet! Humbug! The laptop has however, successfully been re-IP'd by the router as 192.168.1.100 (an arbitrary starting point for my wireless devices).

To complicate things, my Squeezebox (wireless streaming audio device, similar to Apple's Airport Extreme, but about an order of magnitude cooler) can see my cunningly labelled wireless SSID, but cannot access my PC which has all of my muzak. Even by specifying the IP assigned to it by the ISP, el-stupido router still won't pick it up.

I have seen a couple of sites that tell you how to configure your ADSL router to handle cable broadband, but I is thick and get confused very quickly. Any tips before I break out my Mk-1 hammer?

Should have bought a bl**dy mac, mumble, mumble, gripe, moan...