PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Starting off
Thread: Starting off
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2007, 08:26
Captain Smithy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup, I would have to agree with BackPacker.

If you want to make a career of flying (i.e. instruction or commercial) then go for the JAR PPL.

If you're looking to fly purely as a hobby though I would recommend the NPPL, it is much cheaper, less training is required and the medical requirements are less stringent too... unless you're looking at Multi-Engine or Instrument Ratings, in which case the JAR PPL is again the one to go for.

What I would recommend is search on the net (or even here on Proon) for schools/clubs in your area, get their contact details and get in touch with them. It's always best to have a chat first before jumping into anything.

You're doing the right thing by stopping by and asking for advice. Unfortunately I'm not too clued up about any clubs/schools in England but like I say try a search here on Proon and see.

I went out and visited my flying club before I made the decision to start training there, I was glad I did because I found out that the club has an excellent reputation and the instructors there are excellent, that's why I have decided to learn there. Try it yourself and good luck with things!

Cheers

Smithy