PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helmets - Should you? and Which?
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2007, 02:16
helmet fire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have used both and love the 200.

Are you doing the NVG thing? If so, avoid the Eagle at all costs!!! The rigid visor is a semi disaster as an NVG mount. several organisations whom have tried it found that the eye relief to the goggle exceeds the recommended 17 to 25mm. to fix that problem, an organisation in Australia (EMQ) has come up with a very innovative fix involving a small metal clip.

Even with the mod, the NVG cannot be just clipped on and off depending on use. As the picture reveals, the visor mount obstructs view when fitted, so you would normally take the mount piece on and off depending on your day or night shift.

After quite a lengthy look at this problem, we believe that the new Gentex is the way to go. Heaps cheaper, extra hearing protection, and a truly clip on clip off NVG system. The helmet was designed for NVG helicopter use from the outset. But there are two problems with it:

1. I will have to swap it for my faithful 200
2. It was designed by the US Army, not the US Airforce so absolutely no attention was paid to its looks. Though I personally don't care, this issue was the most common feedback we received when doing a comparison - so remember: Tom Cruise would not be seen dead in one! If that is not an issue to you, the Gentex is a hands down winner.