PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Applying to the RAF
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2007, 00:22
The Scottish Fg Off

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matt,

Whist taking on board what the above have said about keeping your options open during the AFCO and subsequent OASC stages of RAF recruitment, be very wary of what people in Careers Officers and, for that matter, those at the end of day 1.5 of OASC try and sell you.
They are very good at pushing people into the boxes that need filled!

Sure FC is a good career choice, (im told) but in terms of the primary task, and location during the first couple of tours, it rural North England or Lincolnshire, and I promise you, what ever a scopie might try and say otherwise, Boulmer is just weird. Someone, a snappily dressed adminer WRAF type, who bless her, knows only a limited amount about each RAF carreer will no doubt be danglling the stick of FC and AWACs from day 1, or after "a sucsessful first tour" unlikely.

Us Air Tragickers on the otherhand can be sent to any flying station in the UK straight off JATCC or, if your breeze the course, straight to one of the centres which, all good SATCOs will tell you is the best controlling going, coupled with numerous anecdotes along the lines of "there was this one time on East.........."

I did the NATS tests a couple of months ago, and inspite of holding radar and tower endorsments for four years didnt manage to pass their cheap and nasty paper tests, which appear to have very little to do with basic ATC skills and alot to do with an easy way to cull of the lions share of their applications. But hey i, not bitter, honest......... Why would anyone want to work for one of the UKs top 20 employees???

Good luck, trust me, no matter what alot of people say, on this forum and elsewhere, the RAF is still an absolute hoot and a cracking career!