PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Captured Personnel Permitted to Tell Stories for Money
Old 11th Apr 2007, 22:10
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
You couldn't make it up ....

This is just gobsmacking. Apparently there are now calls for the 'Tehran 15' to be given medals for bravery.

http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/displa...pNodeId=137002

So surrendering without putting up a fight and publically admitting that you cried yourself to sleep is considered brave in Exeter is it? Forgive me for seeming to be a little critical here, but storming a Taleban machinegun nest singlehandedly would be brave.

I am just in the middle of reading Vulcan 607 and there is a bit where the Lt and his small party were charged with holding off the Argies from landing on South Georgia and he is told to put up a token show of force - "half an hour should do it then surrender". After half an hour or so he and his team surrender. Having brought down a Puma, sunk an landing craft, put a hole in the side of an Argentinian Type 42 destroyer with what sounds like a recoilless rifle and peppered the side of it with several thousand rounds of small arms. Now that was something that deserved a medal that the Navy can be proud of! There are times when I think this once great country has gone totally barking, and this is one of them.

Last edited by Melchett01; 11th Apr 2007 at 23:05.