PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan to the Skies.
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2007, 20:43
TSR22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Guys!
I was at some of the last Vulcan shows back in '93 - awsome
Since then, I've followed progress and occasionally - like many PPRuners, added a bit of cash to the kitty.
Latest news is that the undercarriage units are ready to be fitted, control surfaces and PFCUs are pretty much ready, and the wiring in the cockpit and other areas is almost there.
I think there were some minor issues with corrosion but that these have largely been resolved.
The flight crew, comprising of ex vulcan crew members (including ex display captain Dave Thomas (a PPRuner by any chance???)) know more about flying vulcans than anyone else and will, no doubt, put on a superb performance .
Most of the parts have been restored by the "OEMs" - Original equipment manufacturers - often for free, and these are flooding back to the hangar
It seems that the aeroplane will be much lighter due to removal of lots of redundant cabling (eg stuff that was labelled "mine laying"!!) and some fuel tanks - this will probably make the display a different prospect as it will not be as noisy as in the past.
Its all looking very promising for the next few months and the CAA, from what I can gather, have been very supportive of the project over the last couple of years.
Can't wait to see her fly again - not long now...