PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - 4
Thread: Aer Lingus - 4
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2007, 20:03
akerosid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying west to go east ... hmm; not sure if anyone's going to like that. It's amazing, when you think about it, that EI is stuck like this; there's absolutely no intention on the DAA's part to extend the runway (although I've been told by the Dept of Transport that this hasn't been ruled out) ... the DAA effectively has a veto on Ireland's ability to develop long haul routes.

I wonder if EI is actively trying to persuade the DAA to change this and go for a small extension, or is it still taking the view (as was suggested some time ago), that since EI A330s can operate from it okay, best not to make too much noise about it; the runway length is certainly starting to pose some limitations, but unless there's a right hullaballoo raised about it, nothing will happen (as is the case with any development in Irish aviation!)

Here's something to make EI's day ...

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...eet-of-50.html

40-50 A350s or 787s, to operate from all FR's 23 European bases to the US (and presumably other long haul destinations eventually, too) ... DUB will undoubtedly be a target. The new airline will operate under a new name and separate board, and will have a J Class service.

Its talking about the turn of the decade; how it's going to do that, I don't know, given that production slots are pretty full, but at least there is a few years to anticipate the threat and ensure that EI develops as much as possible of the t/a potential from DUB as possible ...