PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why wear gloves?
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2007, 15:29
Lunchmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying gloves

That safety presentation is scary. I'm now in the market for a pair of flying gloves having seen those pictures of mutilated hands.
I hadn't considered this before, although as a low-hours PPL I do make a point of not flying in nylon clothing such as a fleece. Instead, I go for long sleeves and natural fibres as a nod to fire protection.
For aerobatics I would want the full romper suit, bonedome and gloves purely because I consider the risks of a crash or emergency exit from the aircraft to be much greater than flying from A to B in a spam can.
Surely we should be encouraged to disregard any inevitable banter at the local flying club if it means we're more likely to survive a crash/fire and get to fly another day.
But among all the gore in the presentation, there was one picture showing an RAF-type leather flying glove all shrivelled up and a USAF-style nomex glove. The description said the nomex was better as it would stretch in the heat and therefore give longer lasting protection for hands.
That being so, why do the UK armed forces opt for leather gloves?