PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAL
Thread: JAL
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2007, 13:27
hoopla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel JAL

Where do you get this loo attendant idea from??
I was JAL for 8 years - when it was only contracts that's why I had to say Sayonara, but still got friends at LHR base.
The recruitment day threads have been a bit inaccurate as they've updated the process recently but you have to remember that like all airlines, JAL get inundated with 2000+ for just one group of 15 to train. Don't be put off, apply again and maybe again. Yes it's hard to get through all 3 rounds but when you've got another 3 months of training to get through and then another month of OJT "on the job training " before you get your own roster!
On board you've got to get on with the Japanese crew - even if you've flown or not before they have their own way and it's much easier for everyone to play their game rather than end up back in the office with a bad report. There are always crew that despite the 3 months training still didn't like anything Japanese - especially the food - then you're going to get hacked off every time they run out of western business class meals and give all the crew ones away. The Jpnz crew and flight deck go home in Japan hence there's only European and other Asian based crew there. Hotels are not always downtown unfortunately and not all have gyms, I know the senior crew always try to help out the newbies and juniors showing them what's available.
Toilet duty, especially on the night flights out of Europe, taking turns to let other crew have meal breaks. Jpnz pax don't always tolerate alcohol well and I saw quite a few hit their heads against the doors or faint on the way to the loo. You get good at finding a cabin bag to rest their feet on for a few minutes!! The other thing is that the company like the toilets to be cleaned often and the paper folded - this is where origamai comes from!!! Personally I hate dirty toilets on any planes and if crew are supposed to check them regularly why don't they just have a quick tidy while they're in there???
Good luck if you're applying, otherwise keep on getting interviews with all the other companies