PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A340-600 weight and balance. Times article
Old 10th Apr 2007, 22:11
enicalyth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is an old story

This is an old story and the worries were spotted at least 2-3 years ago when I read about it in one of the better industry rags.
It may be an old story sexed up anew but if there were genuine grievances then and Airbus have not solved them then someone is going to have to take the rap. Based on what the sales contract said was being offered and what the airframe was capable of there are the bones of the dispute.
If this is yet another Airbus clanger then they'll go from clogs to clogs in one generation. At the moment Airbus has bet the farm on the A380 with inadequate provision for next generation A320/330/340/350. This isn't the same as the Boeing 747 by a long chalk, this is forty years on and you can't say that the same margin will extend to Airbus now as it did to Boeing then.
It is an old story. Airbus have had 2-3 years to get to grips with the customer issues such as disappointing fuel burn, tweaking cg limits, problematic IFE and poor after sales all leading to discontent in the ranks of the buyers causing them to stay away in droves favouring the 777 instead.
Airbus should have put all this behind them, drawn a line in the sand and come out fighting with the A380 AND new generation A320/330 replacements.
But if time has been squandered and unhappy airlines are out for blood and Airbus lose in court or arbitration... Well, snap goes the camel's back.
Let's see. It is not the first time journos have recycled an old story but I just felt a shiver run up and down my spine.