PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - -Entering my last year- blues
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2007, 21:41
JustAnothrWindScreen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double back, I retired about 5 months ago. I was willing and able to have gone on longer but the age 60 barrier stopped me. I used to live and breath jet fighters and then the airliners and could not even comprehend not flying for a living. Now in just this short time I have not missed the job once. When a massive snow storm brews I just smile. When the thunderstorms are raging I welcome them. I have currently started a project of a homebuilt high performance 4 place light aircraft. When it is finished is when it will be finished. At least for me the building and those that you run into for help is what it is all about. The actual flying, well, I don't care that much. I used to, but not that much anymore. I know I will enjoy flying it out to the coasts a few times and staying away from any large airport. Going at my pace and not worrying about security, mechanicals, stuffed to the gills aircraft, etc. etc etc. As I do get older it will be a great legacy to hand down to my son.
I always heard folks tell me that there is not enough time in the day once you retire. I always thought that odd. But to tell you the truth, there is not enough hours in the day. Retirement is wonderful. I don't give a second thought to the airlines and the greedy nerd accountants that run them. Good luck in your last year, and don't let complacency sneak in till after you retire.

Last edited by JustAnothrWindScreen; 10th Apr 2007 at 21:55.