PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EAST MIDLANDS - 4
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2007, 20:37
Lite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The work is all supposed to be completed within three weeks, so as mentioned almost all the work you should have expected to see has been completed or is in the final stages of completion. Landside there is still a free cash machine, it's just obscured by the fact that search has been moved so much further forward. There are now barriers just in front of Ritazza with no trolleys past this point though queues do go past here and into the check-in hall, I'm sure there are ways they can better utilise that stretch of space. I wonder if the queues will put people off going into Ritazza.

The new pier, like the glamorously labelled bus interchange, isn't supposed to be very exciting - essentially a cheap, functioning addition to the terminal. I noticed how small the new information desk is (something I noticed now having to walk outside to get from Arrivals back to the check-in hall, wonder how that'll be in the winter) and am not sure how well placed it will be when there are lots of people with enquiries. Luton does have the right idea, the customer service staff are visible walking throughout all areas of the terminal rather than being stationed in one place, and there are also information kiosks all over in case you can't find the staff. EMA, being a bit smaller than LTN, might do well following that scheme.

Can't say I've had any hassle from the G4 Securicor people, always think the terminal and pass people are chatty and friendly. There are two boarding pass inspection posts, as there has always been since the airlines started internet check-in, though a third post and staff profiling people before they get into a queue for security (checking they only have one bag, no sharp items and liquids in a clear bag) might speed it up further.

Arrivals is fine - the car hire desks are clearly visible, and there is a coffee shop (Costa) for people waiting for their relatives. The airport has installed barriers to prevent people surging forward which makes sense, and the G4S people are now visible to check how the crowd is moving. My only complaint would be it's quite dark and dingy in there, plus the gap between the main building and the bus interchange could do with being roofed over.