PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JMC 250Kts Below FL100
View Single Post
Old 29th Jun 2001, 10:28
mcrit

Lightbulb

So many posts on the same subject and people will think that I am obsessed with flying fast at low level which isn’t so.
Vertigo I have never flown a super heavy so can’t comment on them however in my experience which includes 737 –200/300 , A320 , 757 , 767 – 200/300 up to about 180 Tonnes the technique works well. It works particularly well on the 757 as the speedbrakes are relatively good and excellent at high speed in dense air. Flanker however makes the best point, which is to try to correct the profile as early as possible and preferably before 10,000 ft. However this can often be difficult and there is much more scope after 10,000 as the FMC will be programmed to slow down thus even without speedbrakes just by maintaining your normal descent speed you can begin to recover profile. All this is of course dependant on ATC allowing a continuous descent profile. I would like to stress that we are not talking about late stages of the approach here but say between 10 and 5 thousand ft when there is little else one can do to help. In any event one must start to reduce speed by say 20 track miles or it isn’t going to happen anyway and we will need to talk nicely to ATC about some more miles!
FogMeister When you start to fly real aeroplanes in the real world and not just your computer you will see that it is not possible to ‘ always be on profile ‘.
Safe flying all!