PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JMC 250Kts Below FL100
View Single Post
Old 28th Jun 2001, 22:12
mcrit

Lightbulb

Well Flanker I apologise I did not intend to be patronising.
My point is this: If you are passing say 12,000 ft and are for example 4000 ft above profile the best chance you have of a normal, on speed, on G/S approach ( ie unhurried and safe ) is to maintain high speed say 300 Kts with speedbrake until you are BELOW profile and level and then slow down still with the speedbrake ( which of course becomes less and less effective as you slow down ). I would not advocate high speed on the glide or even planing to maintain high speed during the app. But I will say again it is a useful tool when required. And leads to a far more ‘normal’ approach in the end. When training new FO’s its those who end up with a very high rate of descent at a late stage of the approach who get into the most difficulties. Often as a result of getting high on the profile then slowing to 250 below 10 then slowing further to try and get all the flap out then with idle power, full flap, 4 whites and full fly down with no real idea of weather or not they are going to intersept the G/S before 500’ ( latest ). My aim in this is not to be a ‘Cowboy’ but rather to give the best chance of a stable and safe approach.