PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VS A340 pilot breathalysed at LHR: WRONGLY ACCUSED
Old 10th Apr 2007, 10:58
mustafagander

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Just a little diversion of this thread. About ketosis - my daughter (age 7) is type 1 (insulin dependant) diabetic. She is fitted with an insulin pump, the failure mode of which is to cease supplying insulin - normal delivery is every 6 minutes. We check her Blood Glucose Level every 4 to 6 hours because, should insulin stop being delivered she will, so the endocrine team assure us, be into ketosis within a few hours. A major symptom of ketosis in diabetics is "ketone breath". Our advice is that it takes a "little longer" for a non diabetic on a very low carb diet or suffering from some illnesses to exhibit ketosis. I take this to mean less than a day and, after living with a lady who plunged deeply into the Atkins diet when it was new 25 or so years ago, ketone breath arrives quickly.

Returning to the thread, I am extremely glad that the pilot in question has been exonerated and I, too, am more than a little disturbed by the way a completely unqualified person can cause so much stress and anxiety to a law abiding pilot by making false accusations with, it would seem, little or no accountability.