PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indonesian B737 runway overrun/crash
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2007, 10:47
PK-KAR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The preliminary report is only obliged to cover the factual information... as far as I know.

Although I do not agree with the NTSC findings in terms of criticizing the emergency equipment, it is their right to do so. The main problem is that bloody road crossing it. It should be recommended that faster access from the inside of the airport be made available to the area. Had this crash happened on runway 27 instead, we'd definitely see more fatalities!

In my personal opinion, the lack of runway end safety area did not cause the crash, but contributed to deaths in the accident.

Now as to:
Discussions on contents of the CVR noted the following:
1. Crew commented on the wind during the descent prior to reaching the low level altitudes.
2. At 1500' F/O commented on aircraft being too high and asked if the captain wanted a go-around.
3. At 500' AGL the F/O recommended a go-around.
4. At 200' AGL the F/O called a go-around but did not take control of the aircraft.
5. Captain's reaction to the F/O comments on go-around were that he would configure lower.
I have been trying to reverify this over the last few days... It now appears that the sources have corrected me...
Under 1000ft, 2 reminders were made by the F/O. On the 1st... The F/O said: "shouldn't we go around?", the Captain responded by saying "Wait, let's try", on the second one, the F/O said the same thing and did not hear a response from the captain.

There is however, another comment made by the F/O before the two I mentioned, which still needs confirmation.

Quote:
The weather was calm, contradicting the pilot's claims of a massive down draught.
Accuracy again - obviously the Sydney Morning Herald has not had the benefit of browsing this thread!
Now I'm getting sick and tired of this downdraft business. Can someone point me as to where the pilots claimed of a downdraft? All I can find is the interview with the chief of GA pilot's association where he said "the captain felt as if something pushed the aircraft very strongly in the last moments before touchdown." The interviewer then said, "WHat could that be?" The chief responded by saying "we dunno, maybe a downdraft?"

PK-KAR