PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Going to the 'Stan - Kit advice required
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2007, 09:39
Talking Radalt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't worry about shopping for toiletries or lack thereof. The EFI maybe expensive (don't recall it that way myself TBH) but then there's the PX, Canada House or even the Jinglie Market. American toiletries also offer some light relief in their instructions/warnings. For instance, on an aerosol of shaving foam: "Not suitable for infants under 36 months"
As well as a UK-US electrical adaptor take a small extention lead with a four-gang (or even six?) block of sockets on the end. Far more convenient than balancing everything in a block adaptor (and safer should the "Far D'parment Surrrr!" come checking).
Civvies....don't bother. One set for unseen divs on the way there/back and that's it. Oh and some plimsolls and a vest if you like all that running and jumping stuff. That said, (and this isn't a cheap shot but a genuine observation) there are units out there who seem to pro-actively encourage the wearing of civvies when not immediately "at work". But why get your own stuff dusty, faded and laundered to within an inch of it's life? For my money I also think civvies round camp looks unprofessional. If it is the front line, there's never an "off duty" time.
Kit wise I try never to take more than I can carry in one sitting ie a day sack, and two holdalls (even if they are pretty big, AR5 bag variety), or a bergen (you did say Front line after all )
Better still, if you don't want stuff crushing try and get one of those big black foot locker trunks. Ironically you can get them in the PX As good as any Samsonite and less pretentious. Even guys in Sangin have them!
Do not take/buy crap Fakeley sunglasses. It is hot, damn hot, and thus very bright and your retinae will be damaged if not protected adequately.
Bite the bullet and take your own sun block. The issue stuff is utterly rancid, and it destroys plastic (arms on sunglasses etc) in a matter of minutes. God knows what it does to one's skin.
If forwarding by wokka/Albert, label all your baggage with a paint pen. Lables/tags get torn off too easily.
And what not to take? Don't tell the Regt but my S10 hasn't been overseas since Telic 1.
Enjoy.
PS Please, please, please, please, please do not buy a single-size magazine pouch and attach it to the stock of your SA80. It is SO gash.