PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Current Gulf Air issues (threads merged)
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2007, 08:47
Panama Jack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can understand your concern Bombay HF, but for some reason I am not.

For someone like myself as a low-level organism in the heirarchy of the GF food chain, market share doesn't worry me much-- it is inevitable that GF's market share becomes less and less as other airlines in the region increase their fleet size and we do not. What concerns me more is profitability. High market share does not automatically go hand-in-hand with profitability, although it can. I am unconvinced that most of the competition in the region is profitable despite their market share.

Those airlines that persue market share rather than profitability (read that to also mean sustainability) are in the end only hurting their stakeholders. Over the course of less than 100-years, the history of the airline industry is littered with the wreckage of airlines that miscalculated this and other factors. Similarly, governments and airline unions have largely failed to grasp the worldwide trends in aviation.

Simply opening new, unserved markets will do nothing long term if an airline cannot address it's basic deficiencies (after all, if money is to be made on a new route, others will follow also). Hopefully Mr. Dose will be successful in addressing these deficiencies.