PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Regulatory Reform Program will drift along forever
Old 10th Apr 2007, 03:19
Creampuff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So who’s actually supposed to be driving the train?

Mr Vaile’s ‘Aviation Regulation Review Taskforce’ election stunt was right on cue - it will keep Dick safely distracted for at least 6 months and, depending on the outcome of the election, maybe a year.

I was intrigued by Mr Vaile’s press release. It says, among other things that:
Following discussions with Mr Byron, I have decided to establish the Aviation Regulation Review Taskforce to assist me guide the CASA regulatory reform programme to a successful conclusion.
I thought Mr Byron was being paid to ‘guide the CASA regulatory ‘reform’ programme to a successful conclusion. Now it appears Mr Vaile is going to drive the train.

The scene: A smoking, mangled mess of twisted metal, barely recogniseable as railway track, rolling stock and engines. Mr Byron and Mr Vaile survey the wreckage, scratching their heads.

Mr Vaile: Geez Bruce, what happened?

Mr Byron: Well Mark, I was at the front of the train, issuing directives and restructuring the crew, when the next thing I know, we’re bearing down on the back of our own train! We wuz going around in circles!

Mr Vaile: Geez Bruce, why were you going in circles?

Mr Byron: How would I know? I don’t know how to drive one of these things mate. Sure, I’ve been on some expensive trips to see how they drive these things overseas, but geez Mark, these things are complicated and dangerous!

Mr Vaile: Geez Bruce, if you weren’t driving this thing, who was?

Mr Byron: Buggered if I know Mark. Wasn’t it you?

Mr Vaile: Geez Bruce, you’re in charge. You were supposed to be driving for the last 3 years!

Mr Byron: Sure Mark – pull the other one, it plays Jingle Bells!

Mr Vaile: Whadda we do now?

Mr Byron: What are you trying to achieve?

Mr Vaile: I want to retire quietly with my snout snugly in the public trough.

Mr Byron: You need a ‘taskforce’ mate.

Mr Vaile: A ‘taskforce’? What’s that going to achieve?

Mr Byron: Nuthin. But we’ll both be long gone before the voters realise just how big this mess is. Now let’s get out of here.

Mr Vaile: Which way is out?

Mr Byron: Just sneak past that confused and angry pack of aviators who were on the train, wade through that quagmire of regulations and orders, then climb over that mountain of manuals of standards, and you’re there.

Mr Vaile: Geez Bruce, what are our chances?

Mr Byron: Don’t worry Mark, I’ll issue a directive and we’ll be right.