PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAM & Dom/Reg FAAA
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2007, 01:33
priapism

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope I can help here with some info regarding the sharing of office space between MAM and the FAAA. as there are some historical reasons behind it.
It goes back to the days when Ansett employed casuals. It was to facilitate the quite groundbreaking ( at the time ) roster system of being able to dump hours down to 85 per month. This system , whereby the most junior got first pick at the dumped work ( Ie reverse order of seniority) , was seen as a good thing due to the stagnation of seniority . At the time there was beginning to be a bit of a revolt amongst some junior people regarding the seniority system , and I know of one or two who were prepared to take it to industrial courts.The company would have probably loved this.
The difference between the Ansett casual agreement ,and what I understand is the current Q.F, one is that , at ansett, the union had the say on the levels of casual employees , NOT the company. Any further deployment of casual labour had to be agreed to by the association.
Thus , it was a good arrangement for the FAAA to lease out office space to Maurice. The domestic branch of the FAAA was not in terribly good shape financially , so it was also a win for them.
Maurice was Industrial Officer for the FAAA when I joined in 1981.
I believe any collusion theories re the FAAA and MAM are unfounded.
Collusion theories between MAM and Q.F management however may be a different kettle of fish.
Apologies for any typos, I've just come off a 14 hour nightshift.