PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CASA response to the ATSB report on Lockhart River
Old 10th Apr 2007, 00:28
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
GORN ROUND, you state when criticising Capn Bloggs:

It is now obvious that you should surrender your Instrument Rating....if indeed you have a real one, because it is quite obvious that you do not self brief before carrying out an RNAV approach and most likely every other type of approach.
If Capn Bloggs should surrender his instrument rating, I should too. I agree totally with his views on this issue.

Surely it is obvious from the terrible history of GPS approaches that there are problems. How many more lives will be lost before some really good “human factor” work is done on the approach to make it simpler?

I believe this is a classic example of the technical boffins designing a system which is technically brilliant but over complicated.

Now that the charts have step-down approaches as well as 3 degree approach figures, and now that some instructors/examiners require the pilot to use the step down procedures while others require the 3 degree approach procedure, it is only going to get worse. Remember the old “KISS” principle - “Keep it simple, stupid”? It certainly applies here.